You have a small business, you post on social media daily, you hustle and grind, but still, you’re not getting the leads you need.
Does this sound familiar? It turns out that you might be missing out on one of the most powerful, FREE, marketing tools out there: Email Marketing.
Before you throw the idea out of the window, consider this:
Email Marketing is 40 TIMES MORE LIKELY to secure you new clients than Facebook or Twitter.
The Pro’s of Email Marketing:
Very High Return on Investment
- Most marketers report an ROI of 30:1. This means that for every R1 you spend, you can expect around R30 worth of return.
Easy To Measure
- After you send out a campaign, you can immediately see all the statistics: open rate, bounce rate, click-through rate, to name a few. This puts you in the position to adjust your campaigns optimally each time.
- Mailchimp lets you use their platform for free if your email list is smaller than 2000 subscribers. If your email list grows beyond that number, options are available from $10 a month.
Anyone Can Do It
- The great thing about email marketing is that you don’t have to be a graphic designer to send out great looking emails. Most email service providers have great templates already set up.
- Ever seen an email in your inbox with your name in the subject line? This is the most effective email marketing tactic that you can use to get as many opens as possible.
- It’s very easy to do as well, most email service providers give you this option automatically.
- Make it easy for people to share your content by providing social sharing buttons in your emails.
Meaningful Call To Action
- Yes, yes, brand awareness is important, but at the end of the day you’re sending out an email to generate leads. You want prospects to take action. Make it easy for them with a relevant call to action.
- Adding a call to action button to your email can increase your clicks by 28%.
Excellent Subject Lines
- To get someone to read your email, you need to stand out from all the other emails in their inbox. Make sure you have an irresistible subject line that drives people to click.
Optimisation For Mobile
- If your email isn’t easy to read on a mobile device, you’re screwed. Most Email Providers’ emails are automatically responsive to mobile, but just make sure you test your email on different devices before you send out your campaign to your database.
- You can’t manually send an email to every person that signs up to your newsletter or who purchases something from your online store.
- But you can set up automated email campaigns that automatically send emails on your behalf when triggered by a purchase etc.
Short & Sweet
- It turns out that you don’t have to write a whole thesis to get your message across, people prefer shorter emails that get straight to the point with a clear call to action.
- Having video in your email can increase the click rates by as much as 300%.
Where Do You Start?
Well, firstly you’ll need someone to send your emails to, so you’ll need to start building a database.
Build A Database
There are so many ways to build an email database, you just need to find the right ways that work for you and your business. Here are a few examples:
- Harness Business Cards
- Have a pop-up on your website
- Post a sign up link on social media
- Launch a competition that requires an email address to enter
- Have a subscription form at the top of your website
Moosend has 74 List Building Strategies: check it out.
It’s also important to segregate your mailing lists so that you can send ultra-specific emails to your prospects.
Choose An Email Marketing Service Provider
I prefer MailChimp as it’s free if you have 2000 or fewer subscribers. MailChimp also has great resources and step-by-step guides. But the best part is that they have marketing automation.
Click here to few the top providers in 2019
Decide What You Want To Say and Say It!
Like I mentioned before, you don’t need to write very long emails. It could be just a quick pop-in to introduce a new offer or a sale you’re running. Keep it simple.
Track & Adjust
The great thing about all the email marketing service providers is that you can track the success of your efforts.
Over time you’ll see which subject lines, content and call to actions get the most response and craft your messages to incorporate that.
Some Resources To Get You On Your Way:
- Email Certification Course
- How To Craft Subject Lines
- How To Write An Email
- Valuable Statistics On Average South African Emails That You Can Compare Your Campaigns To
Veldfire is a Digital Marketing Agency Based In Cape Town, South Africa.